In Ayurveda,the word” tvak “ or “carma “is used for skin. Tvacha is derived from “tvach-samvarne dhatu meaning the covering of the body. Skin is an exterior differentiation of what is perceived by the sense of touch. This sense of touch spreads over the entire body and is derived from the power of vayu.
Sushruta described the process of formation of tvacha in developing foetus. He says that after fertilization of ovum, tvacha develops just like a cream on the surface of milk, which gradually increase in thickness, differentiating into 7 layers of skin, and is produced by all 3 dosas particularly by pitta dosha.
Skin has three major functions –
1. visarga – the process of receiving ,which is presided over by pitta.
2. adana-the process of giving out or ejecting which is presided by kapha.
3. viksepa-the process of moving about or pulsativity which is presided by vata.
Nidana of skin disease-
* ati sevana (excessive intake) of pickles, sauce, bakery stuff, black gram, curd, seafood, meat, fried food, sesame oil.
* mithya ahara –which is related to faulty food patterns and sequences, excessive intake of alcohol.
* virrudha ahara-like fish with milk
* mithya vihara-improper physical,vocal and mental activities
So due to the above causative factors, there is vitiation of tridoshas and saithilyata in the dhatus such as tvak,rakta,mamsa and lasika and hence kustha gets manifested. In Ayurveda all skin diseases comes under the roof of kustha (means disease which disfigures the body).
COMMON DISORDERS AND TREATMENT:-
1) Psoriasis –
Psoriasis is a very common skin problem which is non-infectious, non contagious disease which produces thickened and scaling skin. It most often occurs over the elbows, knees, scalp, lower back, and palms or soles of the feet. Sometimes all over the body.
Ayurveda has explained many skin diseases, which resembles Psoriasis. Psoriasis can be considered as the vitiation of Vata (air) and Kapha (water+earth) and accumulation of low potency Toxins (Dooshi vishas/Ama).
Role of Diet and Stress
- Incompatible food (virudh ahar), heavy, cold, oily diet
- Excessive intake of yoghurt, fishes and salty and sour foods, masha pulse (black gram)
- Excess intake of sea food
- Intake of sour and salty food together
- Prolonged intake of fish with milk
- Excess intake of radish and garlic
- Suppression of natural urges
- Too much physical exertion
- Unsound sleep, stress, anxiety.
Ayurvedic Management of Psoriasis
AyurVeda Pharmacy has been treating very difficult and chronic cases of Psoriasis conditions and other skin issues like Eczema, Acne, skin allergy successfully.
2) Eczema –
Eczema is a form of dermatitis where inflammation of epidermis occurs. The exact cause of eczema is not known. Although it is activated by the immune system and is related to allergic reactions, it is not the same
as other allergic reactions. In Ayurveda, the disease is described by the name “Vicharchika.” The word eczema comes from the Greek word ekzein meaning “to boil out”; word ek means “out”, while zema means boiling. In Ayurveda eczema is a type of Kushta.
Eczema is a disease having its impact on body as well as on mind. Ayurvedic line of management aims to give a blissful life by improving the immune system of the individual by removing the toxins, and even controlling the mind. Controlling eczema more effectively can make a radical improvement to the patient's quality of life.
TYPES OF ECZEMA WITH SYMPTOMS:-
- Vata type:- dryness of the skin, pain and severe itching of the effected region.
- Pitta Type:- Oozing from the effected part, burning sensation and fever.
- Kapha type:- Thick skin with oozing and itching.
- Snehana: This method oleates the skin
- Swedana: This methodinduces sweating which help remove the toxins
- Panchakarma: This might include vamana( indused emesis), virechana(induced putgestion), Nasyam, Blood letting through various procedures, Kashaya dhara ( pouring of herbal decoction)
- Mahatiktaka ghritam
- Aragwadadi kashayam etc have provided to be beneficial.
2) Acne vulgaris –
which is referred to” yuvanapidaka “ acc to Ayurveda are the so called “pimples” in common language which are mostly found in adolescents .It is the most common of all skin problems. Acne are mostly seen on the face, upper part of chest and the back. They are mostly triggered by eating too much greasy food, chocolates and outside food. Other factors like stress, heredity, oily skin contribute to the development of acne. Oral contraceptive pills can also cause outbreak of acne.
- Eat more fibre rich diet such as whole grain cereals helps in balancing normal hormonal levels in body.
- Drink 8 glasses of water /day to ensure adequate hydration of skin
- Cut down on sweets which aggravates acne. Apart from this there are number of internal medication which can be given according to one’s body type and the dosha involved.
3) Dandruff –
is a common scalp condition in which the scalp becomes tough, itichy,dry and cracked. According to Ayurveda this is mainly due to kapha and vata involvement and is referred as “darunaka”.This appears to run in families. Stress, fatigue, weather extremes, oily skin, infrequent shampoos or skin cleaning, use of lotions that contain alcohol, skin disorders (acne) or obesity may increase the risk. Avoiding fried foods, dairy products, chocolates, nuts, seafood and foods containing refined sugar or flour could help in preventing this condition.
- Use of natural/herbal hair products should be done for hair wash
- Avapida nasyam, sirovasti and abhyanga are advisable
- There are number of hair paste which destroys darunaka within no time along with internal medication in severe cases.